Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Banana Nut Bread

I LOVE banana nut bread.  Too much.  I can usually go on about my life and forget that it exists until I get a few overripe bananas sitting on my counter, then my willpower goes out the window.  Then the problem becomes stopping myself.  I can't just make one loaf.  I convince myself that I need a loaf AND 12 muffins and by the time the last morsel has been consumed(usually a day and a half)) the craving is so firmly established that I HAVE to make more.  Who knew that a few overripe bananas could cause so much trouble?
This is a recipe that has been perfected over the 20 years that banana bread has owned my soul.  It is moist, savory, sweet and delicious.

1 stick of butter at room temp
1 1/2c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp REAL vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 c sugar
3-4 very soft overripe bananas
1/2 c sour cream
1c chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Butter your loaf pan.
In a large bowl,  combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher.  I like to leave the bananas a little lumpy.
In a large bowl,  cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the bananas, sour cream and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add the dry ingredients and walnuts. Pour the batter into the pan and place on middle rack of oven.
Bake for about an hour.

Enjoy!




1 comment: