Friday, August 26, 2011

Garden to Table, Eggplant Parmesan

The other day our good friend Kurtis Radock came up for a visit.  He brought us a sixer of Blue Moon (one of Jessica's favorite brews) and a huge assortment of fresh vegetables from his awesome garden.  Heirloom tomatoes (whipped up a quick tomato stilton balsamic), a variety of chiles including a scotch bonnet and a few jalapenos, a green pepper, cucumber, lemony basil and a couple beautiful eggplants.   We had a few beers and I thanked my good friend for the copious bounty of vegetables.

I don't want to sound awful or unsentimental but I'm usually not a great appreciator of gifts.  I'm a minimalist and if somethings going to take up space and require dusting, then I'm not sure you've aided my cause or spent your 29.99 wisely.  But this bounty of wonderful veggies from Kurtis was and is a gift that I can truly appreciate.  Right away Jessica and I got our creative juices flowing about what to make.  How could we not?  After all, its inspiring and perfect for the season to make food that celebrates vegetables.

Tonight we made a classic Eggplant Parmesan.  Now I don't want any of you reading the blog to think that Jessica I only appreciate "fancy" food.  While we are all about pushing the culinary envelope, sitting down for a perfectly made Italian/American dish, especially on a night like this, in the calm before Hurricane Irene approaches is still just about as warm, comforting and soul satisfying: as a baby's bright eyed smile:-)  Here's the recipe, courtesy of Jess.

1 comment: